Solar Panel Cleaning
At SolarInstinct Maintenance Cleaning, I offer excellent solar panel cleaning services, ensuring that your panels will be spotless! I strive to make sure your solar panel absorbs the most energy and functions at its maximum strength without having unwanted materials getting in the way. To learn more information about my comprehensive solar cleaning services, feel free to contact me at SolarInstinct Maintenance Cleaning today.
I don't just clean, I also inspect your solar each time for panels that have loose clamps, wires that may have come loose, birds/rats nesting under your panels, or any other condition that could keep your panels from producing the maximum amount of energy and savings for you.
Basic maintenance for PV arrays includes the following:
- Debris Removal
- Any leaves, trash or other debris that collects around PV arrays should be removed during routine maintenance. These materials can present a fire hazard, as well as a problem for proper drainage and can lead to mildew and insect problems that can ultimately lead to degradations of wiring systems or other components.
- Shading Control
- Because a relatively small amount of shading can significantly reduce array output, any conditions that contribute to increased shading of PV arrays should be evaluated during routine maintenance. Trees and vegetation present ongoing shading concerns, and may require trimming and maintenance. Ground-mounted PV arrays may also be susceptible to shading from shrubs or long grass near the array. Where visual observations cannot determine the extent of shading problems, a solar shading evaluation tool can be used.
- PV arrays become soiled over time, particularly in arid and dusty regions with infrequent rainfall. Soiling may result from bird droppings, emissions, dust or dirt that settles and accumulates on the array surface. Extensive soiling can reduce array output by 30% or more. Generally, cleaning PV array on buildings involves climbing ladders and working at heights where personal fall arrest systems are required.
- Electrical shock hazards may also exist for higher voltage arrays with existing faults.
- Weathersealing and Structural
- The weathersealing of all attachment points and building penetrations should be routinely inspected for signs of deterioration or water leakage, and repairs made as required. All structural attachments should be inspected for security and signs of degradation
How often should I clean my solar panels? In most places there`s more pollution in the winter which is why the spring is a good time to do an annual cleaning. Solar panels that are cleaned produce 25 to 30%more electricity respectively than those that are left uncleaned. However some places do require extra attention.
Why should I clean my solar panels? We know that dust dirt pollen bird droppings and other debris can negatively affect solar panel efficiency.
Google conducted a groundbreaking experiment at their 1.6 MW solar farm in Mountain View California. They found that cleaning the solar was “the number one way to maximize the energy they produce.” Cleaning solar panels that had been in operation for 15 months doubled their output of electricity.
The same study also found that rain is not a satisfying way of cleaning solar panels. Solar panels that were cleaned professionally had a 12% higher output of electricity compared to those cleaned by rain.
If you've got a lot of bird droppings on your *panels* rain might not wash these off very readily so it's a good idea to *clean* them off.
A National Renewable Energy Laboratory study that found dirty panels produce 25 percent less electricity than clean ones.